Blog and Resources
Window Treatment Trends 2021
- Roman, roller and solar shades add texture to a space. They are simple and clean, and can give a room a pop of color.
Using shades instead of blinds is popular now, especially shades made from bamboo and other natural woven fibers. Natural, neutral colors pair well with white curtains for a modern farmhouse look.
- Plantation shutters are big. They add character and elegance, and are easy to operate. These window treatments come in moisture resistant, light control and insulated varieties. In high-moisture areas, like bathrooms, choose composite shutters vs. wood.
- Blinds are staying popular, maybe because they are made in so many materials and styles. Choose from wood, fake wood with embossed colors that make the wood look real, and vinyl. Blinds can be horizontal or vertical, with or without cords. Some are even motorized.
- While your window covering choices are important, hardware like acrylic accents on finials, tie backs and rods can add another level of style to your design. Simple and streamlined metal hardware is also popular.
- Motorized window treatments are safer for children and pets than treatments with cords, and make letting in or shutting out light simpler than ever. You can open or close them at the push of a button.
- Colors: Browns, blues, soft greens, berries, lavenders and grays are hot right now, along with orange and gold jewel tones.
Combining more than one type of window treatment in a room is particularly popular at the moment. Consider organic and textural elements like woven or matchstick blinds. They work well alone with or without lining, but you can also put a layer of drapes over the top. They’re classic and can be decorated around over the years.
Another option is sheers. They come in many subtle patterns, can be stylish and still allow light in where privacy is not needed.
Things to Think About Before You Decide
- We recommend choosing window treatments that fit your taste, whether or not they are hot. You are going to be looking at your windows every day for years, so pick something you like.
- Consider function as well as aesthetics; privacy, light control and insulation all matter.
- We like a wider slat on blinds—2.5” is not too wide. You will get a better view, more sunlight, and they are easier to clean.
- Heavy drapes are out, and difficult to automate and motorize.
To find window treatment help around town, search “window treatments Cincinnati” online.